More than 100 Nigerian girls feared abducted by Boko Haram

Feb. 21 (UPI) — More than 100 girls are unaccounted for and feared abducted after Boko Haram militants raided a school in Nigeria, police said on Wednesday.

Up to 111 girls were unaccounted for after the terrorist group stormed the Government Girls Science Secondary School in Dapchi on Monday evening, Yobe state police commissioner Abdulmaliki Sumonu said.

“Eight hundred and fifteen students returned to the school and were visibly seen, out of 926 in the school. The rest are missing,” said Sumonu.

Sumonu said he could not confirm if the missing students had been kidnapped, adding not all of the girls live at the boarding school and some may not have been present during the raid.

“It’s a very sensitive situation,” he said.

Abdullahi Bego, a spokesman for Yobe state’s governor, said the Nigerian army rescued some of the girls “from Boko Haram militants who abducted them after they attacked the school.”

President Muhammadu Buhari said he ordered the military and police to “mobilize immediately” to find the girls and dispatched his defense minister on a fact-finding trip.

“I share the anguish of all the parents and guardians of the girls that remain unaccounted for. I would like to assure them that we are doing all in our power to ensure the safe return of all the girls,” Buhari said.

In 2014, Boko Haram kidnapped 270 girls from a school in the town of Chibok and about 20,000 people have been killed since the terrorist group began its insurgency in 2009.

One of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls was rescued in January , 82 were released in exchange for five top Boko Haram commanders in May 2017 and 21 were freed in October 2016 after negotiations with Boko Haram..

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Top News – UPI.com

Related posts: